Happy Holidays!

Wow where has the time gone?  Here it is, 9 days before Christmas and I still have a few more gifts to get and a lot more to wrap.  Any volunteers for wrapping?  Definitely not my favorite job.  And for some reason I got it into my head that I’d like to try and make chocolates.  Not just any chocolates though, alcohol infused chocolates and possibly cream filled ones.  So I’ve been scouring the world wide web looking for directions and I think I have it down, well the alcohol ones anyway.  And with those I just have to decide on flavors.  I’m thinking maybe some Bailey’s Irish Mint and Caramel and maybe a peppermint one.

As for the cream chocolates, I found these instructions which would have me making a fondant.  I’m not sure how well that would work.  Not because I don’t think I can make it, but I’m not sure how well a fondant would work as a filling.  The ingredients don’t make it sound too bad.  Then again, I could go easy and just do peanut butter as a filling.  So I might do that this weekend since I guess I won’t be playing the house version of Where’s Waldo with J on Saturday. 


Last weekend I got a fancy pants new scale!  It’s this one and it measures body fat and hydration as well as weight.   So I’ve been curious about my hydration levels and I stepped on it twice Monday – once to get my official weight for the day and just before bed to see what my hydration was.  I also stepped on it Tuesday morning and this morning.  So yesterdays weight (’cause I can’t get just hydration) was 2 lbs less than Monday’s and today was another pound less.  I’m still going with my official weight for Monday, but it’s pretty nice to see that number going down.

And on the weight front I’ve stopped working from home for my full time job.  It got to the point I was feeling pretty lethargic about doing anything.  I’d get up in the morning, get on my computer, take a nap at lunch, get off work and go plant myself on the couch. I had no desire to really do anything.  And while I wouldn’t say I was depressed, I could see me heading that direction. Especially since both MS and my MS meds have been known to cause depression.  Being back in the office full time means I’m also back to going to the gym 5 days a week instead of just 2.  And there’s been a definite change for me.  I’m able to attend 2 yoga classes a week and I love it! I think I’m already feeling the benefits of the extra class.  Plus I decided to try and become a runner.  Not an easy task when my thigh/quad muscles become tired so very easily sometimes.

So I’m doing a modified version of the couch to 5k plan. I’m up to jogging 90 seconds and walking 2 minutes for the 20 minute period.  I’ve gotten my mile time down to around 14 minutes.  Woohoo!  It’s the little things.  I’m also working on control when it comes to eating.  I’m not really back to Weight Watchers (although I’ve been considering it).  Instead of I’ve been concentrating more on making better choices and adding in more fruit and vegetables. It’s been working pretty well and I’ve got a Butternut Squash recipe I found that I love, and that’s a new vegetable (fruit?) for me.  The recipe is here if you’re interested. I will say that the parmesan cheese is a take it or leave it ingredient.  It really didn’t seem to add anything flavor wise.  At least not to me.


This week hasn’t been so great health wise.  Monday I left my full time job early with a migraine. My neurologist gave me some samples of a migraine medication, something I’ve never tried before. And the dang thing knocked me out! I ended up laying down at 1:45, got up at 4:45 only because I forced myself to, otherwise I was afraid I’d be up all night.  I managed to make it to 9:15, went back to bed and was up again at 10.  And I was up for 2 hours.  Once I got back to sleep though, I slept the rest of the night.

Last night I woke up around 1am scratching.  It took me a minute or so to realize I couldn’t stop and I should check it out. Head to the bathroom and sure enough, I had a hive on my left wrist, both inner thighs and a couple other places. I’ve had hives land me in the hospital before so I tend to be very careful when I start to break out. I checked to see if I have any Benedryl, didn’t find any.  But I do have some Tylenol Allergy that literally started working within seconds.  I stayed up for a bit to make sure I would have to make a middle of th enight run to the ER.  I’m looking forward to an un-interrupted night of sleep tonight.  Think it’ll happen? 


I also have to say the weather around here has been driving me batty.  A cold front will come through and the temps will drop, which means I can open up the windows and enjoy not having the AC on.  THEN a few days later a warm front moves through making it hot and muggy again.  So much for winter and being able to have the AC off.  Ma Nature, would you please hurry up and make up your mind here?

And on that note, it’s time for me to log off from my part time job and head to bed.  Have a very Merry Christmas, don’t let anyone stress you out.  And have a safe and happy New Years!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: